ADN embraces principles such as international solidarity
and partnerships, plurality and diversity, shared responsibilities
and leadership, human rights based approach.
- that democracy is a universally recognized ideal as well as a goal, which is based on common values shared by peoples throughout the world community.
- that participatory and inclusive democracy plays a role in promoting social justice, reducing inequality, and preventing armed conflict.
- that women’s active participation and empowerment is crucial in advancing inclusive democracy.
- that democracy should contribute to the protection of religious, ethnic and other minorities.
- that free, fair and democratic elections are essential to good governance.
- that education for democracy at all levels ensures that citizens are aware of their rights and civic duties.
- the role of the private sector in democracy building by promoting good and sustainable business practice according to international norms and standards.
- the importance of international development cooperation as an effective tool for democracy promotion.
- the importance of constructive engagement with governments and international organizations while maintaining independence and autonomy.
ADN upholds and reaffirms universal values such as human rights and democracy as stated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948), Universal Declaration on Democracy (1997), UN Declaration on the Right and Responsibility of Individuals, Groups and Organs of Society to Promote and Protect Universally Recognized Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms [Human Rights Defenders] (1998).In accordance to the above principles, ADN shall identify and address key challenges and threats to inclusive and participatory democracy in Asia such as:
- Corruption and failure of accountability mechanisms.
- Culture of impunity.
- Poverty and social inequality.
- Negative impacts of globalization.
- Bad governance including fraudulent elections.
- Authoritarianism, militarization, and armed conflicts.
- Control and manipulation of media and information.
- Religious fundamentalism in all its forms.
- Gender Inequality.
- Exclusion of marginalized groups.